Aspects that hinder a reader to finish a book



 
credits to the owner.


Whether it's because you're on a slump or you're not that fond of reading a certain genre your book buddy recommended to you, there are always certain aspects that makes you want to drop the book even when you're halfway reading it.
According to Anne Mangen of Norway's Stavanger University, a lead researcher in the study of digitization of reading, readers reading medium also has a huge impact on its reading progress. In this study, they tested 50 readers to read the same short story by Elizabeth George, half of them read the 28-page story on Kindle while the remaining read in paperbacks. Subjects are then tested on how they perceived the story. As a result, it was proven that Kindle readers performed worse on the reconstruction measure, example, when they were asked to form the sequence of events in order. Hence, if you're an e-reader then it can also be the reason why you're having trouble finishing a single book but of course, it doesn't entirely mean that that's it.

Anne Mangen also adds, "We need to provide research and evidence-based knowledge to publishers on what kind of devices (iPad, Kindle, print) should be used for what kind of content; what kinds of texts are likely to be less hampered by being read digitally, and which might require the support of paper,"
"I'm thinking it might make a difference if a novel is a page-turner or light read, when you don't necessarily have to pay attention to every word, compared to a 500-page, more complex literary novel, something like Ulysses, which is challenging reading that really requires sustained focus. That will be very interesting to explore."...which means it is up to the publishers, well, they should be aware, that not all texts, passages or any articles are supposed to be published digitally. Complex texts are still advisable to be printed on physical paper because of the tactile sense that aids reading progress.

Other than reading medium, the contents of a novel, it's form or structure, how it was written as well as the environment where you read also plays a role in urging you to just abandon the book and head on to your next-read. Little fact: (I don't abandon books that I already began reading. I just don't. Probably because I value the amount of time an author spend just to finish her manuscript, also the imaginative skill that she has infused in her entire story. You think it's that easy to execute? Well, no. Not really.) 

And so as a reader-against the abandon of books, I list down aspects that impel you not to finish that book you're reading right now.

Disclaimer: These are all based on my observations as I have been once a book-abandoner (whatever you call it), it is not in my intention to undermine books that would be mention in this list, it is just that certain aspect of their story really ruined my reading progress, slowly that then turned into a slump, which I hated so much (We all do, aren't we?). And if you think there are still other aspects that I missed and didn't make it to my list, just comment down below and I'll add it right away. 


So here we go.

  • ·         Distraction

Oh, I'm so guilty on this one.
We have so much to do aside from reading. Yes, we all know that but why is that once we've done all of it and we decided to finally grab a book, lie on the couch while sipping tea or eating chips, we still get distracted by all things around us? The answer? FOCUS.
As simple as that, you lack not only focus but concentration and the mood for reading. Admit it, readers don't get distracted by even a thrash of wind once they're entirely immerse to a story. Agreed?
So why read when you're not entirely IN to the story? (I have my answer to that... To kill time.)


  • ·         Shallow conversations in a novel

The small dialogues.
I understand that it's there to simply transport it to a greater and sensible conversation but why, why do some authors seem like to forget its purpose and just continue the nonsense talk from one character to another?
I find it dull and boring (Appropriate term, actually) for characters especially if it's the protagonist who's talking nonsense. If you've ever read Daniel Handler's Why we broke up, you know what I'm talking about. I mean, seriously, I'm already on Chapter 30 and yet I still don't find the hype or any feels that I think, I supposed to feel at that point. I even tried re-reading the chapters I've passed if I have missed any important scenarios only to find nothing but still the plain and boring exchange conversations.
I ended up skimming the entire book till I get to the last chapter just to finish the book. See? Abandoning books isn't really my thing.
"Pick a book, drop it once you've done it, no matter how terribly-written it is. " is the principle I hold in my reading routine.

  • ·         Overwhelming usage of technicalities

 Every time I think of technicality, Victoria Aveyard's Steel Scars, a prequel novel to her Red Queen series is what always come to my mind. I love that series that even its prequel books also caught my interest. Red Queen is indeed a good-fantasy-dystopian book except Steel Scars.
The story tells about Farley one of the supporting characters in the main novel, who's been eyeing to plan the rebellion in Norta. By simply reading its synopsis, I thought it would be a badass and an action-packed prequel but nope, it isn't. What really made this book dull and tedious is the huge amount of technicalities that Aveyard used. I somehow think that maybe because it's crucial to the story but after reading its entirety, it doesn't even made sense at all. I appreciate the creativity and critical thinking but it's way too much that it became difficult to comprehend.
Usage of technicalities in a novel is vital, I believe so. But authors should be mindful of their reader’s capacity to comprehend whatever terms that they will be using. A good guide is a must for readers if an author thought of including complex terminologies.

  • ·         Length

Though it may seem insignificant but really, the length of a novel is also one of the main aspects that might get readers to abandon a book.  An article from Autocrit said that books that are too long are sign of laziness by the writer and also imply an arrogance of sorts, as if saying, the author holds the pen hence, readers should only acknowledge their output whether they like it or not, they're the ones at fault anyway.
Taking ACOTAR (A court of Thorns and Roses) series as example. This book has a broad and really big world so I understand how lengthy it is but on its last installment which is my current read till now since October 2017, little by little, it's becoming tiresome to read though the scenes are still indeed, action-packed and phenomenal. It is just that IT'S TOO LONG plus the fact that there are so many characters that each has their own conflict or personal issues. Don't get me wrong here. I am always amazed by how Maas executes her entire story. I love how she was able to develop her characters since the first book. It's the length alone. Just the length.
I just hope that authors do maximize their novels. I think they really do and can. There are just some whose focus is on the vivid details of each scenario and that's okay. Just make sure to lessen the clichés and unnecessary fillers of characters.


  • ·         Flop Plot line

Plot refers to the sequence of events inside a story which affect other events through the principle of cause and effect. A good plot line contains a solid structure of the entire novel where your characters could freely evolve and act. This is actually the most anticipated part of every book that readers keep an eye of. Just come to think of it, will you let yourself read a book with a flop plot line and plot twist? Isn't that a waste of time? As to that situation, I suggest that you just finish the book till the end who knows what it holds at the latter part?


"Keep reading. It's one of the marvelous adventures that anyone can have." -Lloyd Alexander 



Comments