Thoughts on Writing Poetry---Writing Free Verse Poems and Introduction to my Online Pages

Background photo credits to the owner. 


Aside from writing blogs, writing poetry is also one thing that usually takes over my spare time. As I have mentioned in my previous post, I began writing poetry in college (which I don't pretty much took seriously) and from there I started to develop my passion to write and express myself as many poem as I can without the tendency to force myself just to write. I also mentioned that most of my poetry compositions are free verse poems and few Haikus. Haiku because I find it fun to convey emotions through short line. Quite challenging, actually but truly it is fun to write some.

I have read an article in regards to writing poetry from Oprah.com, the article is titled "12 ways to write a poem“. The title already says about the content of this article but what I like about it is this line at the latter part which says, “No human experience is unique, but each of us has a way of putting language together that is ours alone.” I agree but admit it, whenever we get to read poetry compositions most of it really appeals to our senses that we often thought the piece is meant to us though it isn't. I usually read works from Lang Leav,  Michael Faudet, R.H Sin, Pierre Jeanty, Atticus, and April Green  and I would say some of their works (almost majority of it, actually.) seem to connect and convey what I feel.

Why is it then?

In my opinion, it is for the reason that poets simply get their inspiration from life's everyday dilemma. Poets are humans too. They feel what you feel or what you have felt whether it be from heartbreak, death of a family member or pet even the simplest struggle that aren't totally the simplest for them. They've been through that as well but the problem is most of them are having a hard time voicing out so luckily, writing meet them halfway.

Winner of the 1984 National Book Critics Circle Award for her work "The Dead and the Living", Sharon Olds said when asked where poems come from, "Poems come from ordinary experiences and objects, I think. Out of memory--a dress I lent my daughter on her way back to college; a newspaper photograph of war; a breast self-exam; the tooth fairy; Calvinist parents who beat up their children; a gesture of love; seeing oneself naked over age 50 in a set of bright hotel bathroom mirrors."
Or to simply put, Sharon thinks that poems are everywhere, everybody can write as long as there's the huge amount of emotion to pour as well as if its aim is to both express and interact with its target audience.
Poetry is for everyone, I would say.
It is when you felt something so deep you couldn't just let it out by talking to someone up till 4 am. With me, inspirations come from sorrow; most of them are from painful relationship occurrence and those that I just derive out of song titles or poems that are pure fiction which basically come from books that I've just read.  Here's one:

Tragedy
…own version of Victoria Aveyard’s Red Queen in Poetry


Colors become more beautiful when it’s black and white
Surroundings seem to be in peace when everything’s clearly isn’t.
Unclear.
Just as the pain you said she has made.
Same as your feelings towards your beloved woman.

Unclear.
Melancholy has slowly enlightened her heart.
Little by little you unveil yourself
You made it visible to her eyes that truly a fox could wear the sheep’s wool.
Were you aware?
That you made her knew?

Unclear.
Similar to the saying, “Love conquers all.”
You have been one of the living proof of it.
It does, you said.
But the consequence is right behind you reminding to watch your actions.
You conquered everything to win her heart
Now that you finally got her…
What have you done?

Happiness and Distress
That is what you fed her
You made her get used to the blissful moments that thereafter turn into misery.
She has become afraid of joy
For you made her sick about it.

One fine day
She found herself staring blankly in an open space

Everything that had happen playbacks
From where she met you, her first disappointment, heartbreaks…
Even the silly events that has passed recalls

Tears suddenly stream down her precious face
As she has been awaken from a deep sleep
Her heart skips a beat, tears no longer dribbles down
Plainly, she painted a faint smile
Forcing her lips to curve.

You said she’s killing you softly
Her actions speak for it, you said.
You said it isn’t fair.
So you broke her slowly
For you thought it is to be fair and square.

No.
She was the only one who died internally.
No.
She was the victim, not you.
No.
She was not killing you but instead loving you passionately.

You killed her…
Emotionally.
Inside, she’s gasping for air
She was longing for reality,
Those that could handle her heart with care,
Those that could save her, not made her suffer.

Obviously, it wasn’t you, Cal.



In terms of my free verse poems, most of the inspiration just strikes in. I exhibit my works on Instagram (@behindlinesandverses) and it is also where I directly compose (Many thanks to "Type" My day feature). Every time I hit the "My day" button and I'm already in front of the "Type" screen, words just creep in. There are some times that I don't know exactly where it'll end up but once I finished one, I find it sensible that I think it has relevance to my readers. Most of it are short and cut short intentionally so I could create a caption that is significant to that shortened poem but meaningful. As you can see, I name both my Facebook and Instagram page as "Behind Lines and Verses", the origin of it is simple and actually self-explanatory.  My way of posting works online is through deriving a conclusion in every poem I compose. This is to dig beneath the lines and verses I come up and wrote. I want my readers to have a clearer vision on what my poems are trying to convey exactly so for me, this is one good way for them to simply enjoy my writing. There are some writings that I left caption- less, it could be because it's too simple to come up something that would resonate to it or I just want my readers' mind do the trick.

Poetry is for everyone. If you feel like you want to say something you can voice out, just write. Don't hinder yourself from creating something precious to you and to people out there.


Check out my works here:















Comments

Popular Posts